Pet Poisoning

The Washington Poison Center (1-800-222-1222)

If you suspect your dog or cat has ingested a toxin or medication, call us during the day (or a 24-hour emergency vet at night) for immediate care. Bring any suspicious substances or containers (actual packages, wrappers, pills on the floor, etc) with your pet to the exam.

If you know exactly what substance your pet has ingested, we will want to enlist the services of the Washington Poison Center, an invaluable resource that we use. They are available by phone 24 hours a day at 1-800-222-1222.

Due to budget restrictions, they now must charge a modest fee for pet consultations, so be prepared with your credit card when you call. They will provide a case number so the pet owner or veterinarian can call again regarding advice on the situation.

For some excellent tips on preventing poisoning accidents in pets, visit The Washington Poison Center website at www.wapc.org.