Did you know lilies can be dangerous to cats?
As Easter and Mother’s Day holidays approach, it is important to prevent exposure to common lilies as they can be poisonous and fatal to cats.
The most dangerous and potentially fatal lilies for cats are those in the genus Lilium and Hemerocallis. These are very popular often found in cut-flower bouquets or potted sold during the Easter holiday. It is critical to not bring these flowers in your home if you have cats. Ingesting petals, leaves, pollen or even drinking the water from the vase can be poisonous. Below is a list of common lilies which link to the Pet Poison Helpline for more information.
- Asiatic lily – including hybrids (Lilium asiatica)
- Daylily (Hemerocallis species)
- Easter lily (Lilium longiflorum)
- Japanese Show lily (Lilium speciosum)
- Rubrum lily (Lilium speciosum var. rubrum)
- Stargazer lily (Lilium ‘Stargazer’- a hybrid)
- Tiger lily (Lilium tigrinum or lancifolium)
- Wood lily (Lilium philadelphicum or umbellatum)
What happens if my cat ingests a lily?
Ingestion of any part of the plant may result in acute kidney failure, requiring immediate veterinary medical care. The kidneys help manage blood pressure, make hormones, help stimulate the bone marrow to make more red blood cells, and remove waste from the blood. Early veterinary treatment is key, treatments may include intravenous fluid therapy, early decontamination, renal function tests, and supportive care can highly improve the cat’s prognosis. Delaying veterinary medical care for more than 18 hours after ingestion it may result in irreversible kidney failure.
For more information on safer alternative flowers for homes with cats and educational materials, visit Pet Poison Helpline